Is there a more heated debate among heath professionals than whether you should be taking a daily multivitamin? Research over the past couple decades has been mixed -- various studies suggest that people who take a multi have a lower risk of certain diseases, yet others show no benefit. However, it makes sense that taking a daily multi ensures you're getting the RDA of a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
A high-quality multivitamin/multimineral supplement can help fill in the nutritional gaps from a less-than-perfect diet, and may even provide additional benefits. If you're wondering if you need a multi, the answer is yes! If you still need convincing, here are five reasons to take a daily multi.
1. There's a good chance you have a nutrient deficiency. According to a recent report, nine out of ten Americans fall short on one or more key vitamins or minerals. Vitamins D, E, and C and the mineral zinc are among the most prevalent deficiencies.
2. A multi will nourish your skin. Vitamins A, C, E, and other antioxidants are essential for maintaining youthful skin. A daily multi will nourish skin from the inside out to reduce wrinkles, support hydration, and create a beautiful, healthy glow.
3. Multivitamins support healthy aging. As we get older, our bodies have a harder time absorbing nutrients from food, including calcium, which is critical for maintaining strong bones. For a variety of reasons, people over 60 don't get all the vitamins and minerals they need -- vitamin D, some B vitamins, and magnesium are common deficiencies.
4. A multivitamin will help you maintain strength and mobility. Staying strong and active are the keys to getting old without feeling old. Vitamin D has been shown to improve muscle strength in older individuals, and studies find that a daily multi containing at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D and 1,000 mg of calcium can improve balance and reduce the risk of falls.
5. A multivitamin will provide exactly the nutrients you need most. Different genders, ages, and life stages have different nutritional requirements. A multivitamin is customizable -- if you have a family history of heart disease, look for a formula with added omega-3s. A prenatal multi will provide optimal quantities of nutrients to support mother and baby before, during, and after pregnancy. You'll also find multivitamins specially formulated for seniors, children, men, women, and more, so it's easy to find the perfect fit.
© 2017 GeniusCentral Systems, Inc.
|Printable Version||E-mail a Friend|
|Vegetable Stir-fry with Flaxseed Dressing|
|A great way to serve a wide variety of vegetables. You can use your fam...|